Bachelorette Parties are a blast- but it’s no fun when you’re having trouble flagging down a bartender in order to get your buzz on. Or worse, when you’ve had a drink or two too many and end up doing something to embarrass yourself or the bride! Maintaining the perfect level of fun buzz while attending a bachelorette party is an art form- and lucky for you, it’s one that we have down pat. We want to share our top tips for drinking effectively when out on the town!
- Eat Before You Go Out. Building a base is important if you want to make it through the whole night and not get too drunk. Try to prep for the fun with a meal that is comprised of protein and healthy fats- think avocado and whole wheat toast, yogurt, chicken, or quinoa. The food will slow the alcohol from absorbing into your stomach as quickly as it would if you had skipped dinner.
- Order two drinks at a time. While you may feel transported back to your college days, trust us and try it! Grabbing two drinks at a time (especially at the beginning of your night) means less time spent at the bar and more time spent on the dance floor with your girlfriends! Cutting down on the amount of time you’ll be waiting in line, and thus the amount of time you’ll be waiting between drinks, means that you’ll be able to keep your buzz going for much longer!
- Don’t Order Complicated Drinks. Once you’ve finally gotten the bartender’s attention, the last thing you want to do is make them dislike you by ordering a complicated drink like a mojito (because of the muddled mint) or a blended cocktail. It’s also helpful to know what you want to order before you even approach the bar- you’ll be served more quickly and the bartender will be grateful!
- Tip Well. One way to ensure that you’ll be receiving quality service (and drinks) all night long is to tip well- especially with your first drink order of the night. Generally, somewhere between $1-$3 per drink is a safe bet, but don’t forget to tip a little more depending on how complicated your drink is.
- Alternate with Water. The best way to prevent a hangover is to alternate your drinks with water. Although you may worry at first about losing your buzz, this is definitely not the case! Instead, drinking water will keep you hydrated and awake as you party into the night.
- Bring Your Own. If you’re planning on hitting up multiple bars over the course of a night, renting a limo is a great way to relieve the pressure of having a DD. After checking the open container laws, ask your limo service if you can bring your own beverages and snacks along for the ride. You’ll save a lot of money by stocking yourself, and having wine or a mixed drink on hand will be helpful to maintaining a perfect buzz- and ensure that you’re not totally starting from scratch as you hop from bar to bar!
- Show Your Money. When you’re ready to order, don’t yell or gesture wildly at the bartender. Instead, casually holding your money up at the bar is an easy (and lowkey) way to let them know that you know what you want and are ready to order.
- Sober Driver. Whenever you’re heading out to drink, you should always have a transportation plan in place before you get started. Whether you have a friend drive, rent a limo, or use the Uber or Lyft app, it’s important to be safe and responsible- starting with how you’ll be getting to and from each location.
- Don’t Leave Your Drink Unattended. As a rule, you should try not to accept drinks from strangers and should definitely never pick your drink back up after having left it unattended. You never know who might have slipped a little something into your glass. Keep an eye on your beverage in order to keep the party going!
Armed with these tips, you’ll be on your way to securing a solid buzz and find it easy to keep it up for the entire wild night with your besties!